Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Go down

Avatar part Duex Empty Avatar part Duex

Post by Guest Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Are we considering the Avatar to be "In Character"?

Back to top Go down

Avatar part Duex Empty Re: Avatar part Duex

Post by Vai Castillian Fri May 21, 2010 11:04 pm

In the in character part of the boards, I'm assuming that the avatar is chosen by the character, either as a picture of themselves, or as something that they want to represent them. If I shouldn't be assuming that, someone tell me.

Still working on Vai's avatar. All the vintage opium-related illustrations I could find have nekkid women in them.
Vai Castillian
Vai Castillian

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Fri May 21, 2010 11:51 pm

I assumed they were just there for OOC. IC only would be somewhat hard to do. So Sayd thinks he's Mr Smith from the Matrix? I kinda doubt that. Or Jordy has a hunky cowboy for his avatar? Hmm well maybe he would. :-p But I don't think they are really IC in my opinion.
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet
Name: Solomon
Position: Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Sat May 22, 2010 1:16 am

The avatar does not have to represent the character. The character chooses an image that reflects them. Sayd likes to think of himself as the corrupter from the matrix, but doesn't actually look like him or act like him. Just sees a reflection of him in that character.

Adeana, if you post a paragraph or two about Vincent's looks, I'll draw, scan, crop and edit that image so you can stop looking for an avatar. Only take me a few hours.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet
Name: Marius
Position: Arbiter of Greater Sacramento

Back to top Go down

Post by Theseus Ahroun Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 am

I would say there approximations of the character ic in most cases. While the Avatar I have isn't 100% what I picture for Theseus it's close enough to give everyone a good general idea. Add a couple scars, a little more hair and pointed ear's tucked under all that hair and the picture gets even closer.
Theseus Ahroun
Theseus Ahroun

Character sheet
Name: Theseus Ahroun
Position: stubborn old Gangrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Sat May 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Rather than have to point out the 'minor differences' on each avatar. I think it probably best that we just assume avatars are not IC pictures of the character.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet
Name: Marius
Position: Arbiter of Greater Sacramento

Back to top Go down

Post by Theseus Ahroun Sat May 22, 2010 1:09 pm

I don't see any harm in using them as an approximation of what someone looks like IC as long as it's understood the avatar's are more generalized interpretations then a true picture of the character.
Theseus Ahroun
Theseus Ahroun

Character sheet
Name: Theseus Ahroun
Position: stubborn old Gangrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Sat May 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Here is my 2 cents on this.

It isn't supposed to be an exact picture of the character, and in some cases an NPC may choose a symbol, or even a famous person because the avatar represents some facet of their personality. As is the case in real life forums, you don't read too deeply into the avatars people choose, you just use that avatar as a symbol to associate image with person. In the case of Sayd, he's been accused of talking in a speech pattern similar to Agent Smith. So, sayd, in an attempt at humor decided to use agent smith as his avatar. With Jordi, he isn't very computer savvy. So his picture, while not exactly what Jordi looks like, is actually his IC real picture. This is a fantasy game, as such we really should use our imaginations. If someone uses an avatar that seems to make no sense, consider there may be a deeper meaning.

With a little poking around, or simply asking, may reveal the hidden meaning of the avatar. When you start making rules like, The avatar should be what the character looks like, it becomes to restrictive....and creativity suffers.

Take the Story Teller's Avatar for example. I am not a famous, black man. However, as ST...I'm one "Bad Mutha Fucka" hehe
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down