Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun Alchemy or Enchantment stuff

+2
William Kincaid
Story Teller
6 posters

Go down

Fun Alchemy or Enchantment stuff Empty Fun Alchemy or Enchantment stuff

Post by Story Teller Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Here are some fun things I may make in the future. This is the fun stuff only, nothing practical is mentioned here.

If something on here sounds appealing to you let me know, I may give it a higher priority to spend my exp on.

Ever play portal 2?

Alchemy - An oil like substance with a red tinge that exponentially increases momentum for any object sliding along it. Think oil slick but with turbo.

Alchemy - An oil that repulses force. A blueish tinged oily substance that can coat any non living surface. When force is applied it is redirected with equal force...The object coated feels no force.

Think an oil based bouncy stuff! I thought about having the oil increase the force by 20% but that could be bad if you have two blobs of the stuff and you're bouncing between em.

Alchemy - An oil like substance that can be applied to Wood, Metal, or stone. It makes the surface transparent on the oily side. This can be used to see what's on the other side of a wall or door, while not letting someone on the non oiled side see you.

Enchantment - Mechanic's oil rag. Enchanted rag designed to clean up liquid messes, like the above for example. Safety first!

Sun Glasses *Terminator style wrap around* - Night vision... Song, "I wear my sun glasses at night..."

This was only like 5 minutes of thought, I'd love to open up discussion on zaney items that the group might like to see made.

Here are some convo starters.

I'd like a goofy, or cool item that can translate any language into English.

I'd Love to hear about combo enchantments. 2 or more enchantments that when working in conjunction or as a chain reaction something awesome is achieved.

Lastly a musical instrument that unleashes the brown noise....or what did south park call it the Flat G?

If you would like to list a practical request you may do so here. Though a funny/creative idea will get higher priority, cause if you want practical most of the time you can buy an item to do it.
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Fun Alchemy or Enchantment stuff Empty Re: Fun Alchemy or Enchantment stuff

Post by William Kincaid Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 am

How about a portable hole? Or the ever amusing wand of wonder?
William Kincaid
William Kincaid

Character sheet
Name: William Kincaid
Position: Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vai Castillian Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Sunglasses that let you see in the dark would be pretty damned useful. It would be a great tactic to outfit the party with them and then open up all of our nighttime operations by killing the lights.

Also, I don't know if Sam would allow this because it's pretty powerful, but using Enchantment, a bag that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside would be pretty useful.
Vai Castillian
Vai Castillian

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Here's my take on your ideas:

One way window oil - Level 3. The effect is similar to a low level divination. The consequence would be something noticeable like a temperature increase.

Oil slickier - If this only conserved momentum, it would be level 2, but increasing momentum is conveyance, which means this stuff starts at level 3.

Ultra grease monkey - This is definitely a level 2 enchantment. It improves upon existing materials. The drawback for the item would be that it needs to be dried out in a peculiar manner.

Corey Hart glasses - These are very powerful, but ultimately the best use of enchantment. There are a number of ways to engineer these, they could see auras, detect infrared or just enhance light. Each has their drawbacks. They would have a more limited range than the technological equivalent, but would otherwise be only enchantment 2.

Liquid forcefield - This is awesome. It would be based on some sort of acid unfortunately that would limit what it could be applied to. (Humans, not so much.) Otherwise it would be clearly overpowered. However, it makes for a very interesting plot point in the right circumstances. (Level 4 probably, but might be higher.)

Translation stone - Both people have to lick it, but once they do, the stone allows them to communicate in each other's languages fluently.

Brown note Pipe - This could be a legendary item (level 5 or 6). It would at least incapacitate for one round anyone that failed an opposed willpower check with the musician. Don't get crazy with it though, the player develops coprophilia if they botch.

Acme Portable hole - This is at least level 3, successes would limit the number of uses and distance of the tunnel created. Recharging it would require travelling through a tunnel at a high rate of speed.

Big bag of delving for stuff - Michelle's bag is probably a pretty common conjuration ritual that can be placed on any bag at level 4. The drawback is that the bag occasionally has other people's things in it instead of what you were looking for.

Wand of wonder - Not sure what this would do unless it is create random effects. I could easily see this being a stage magician's accoutrement, able to duplicate any effect a stage magician could employ. Smoke, flowers, making rings stick together, people being displaced a short distance etc. Drawback is, you can't do it without at least twenty people watching, or, for a more practical item game-wise, drawback could be that you can't predict the effect. Definitely level 4, possibly level 5 in the second version as there is significantly less sympathetic relation to draw out the magic.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet
Name: Marius
Position: Arbiter of Greater Sacramento

Back to top Go down

Post by William Kincaid Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:02 pm

What about blurring, darkness, light etc. Displacement would be interesting.

What about glasses that allow reading any language? With a draw back like you couldn't see any further then 3 to five feet away.
William Kincaid
William Kincaid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Vai Castillian wrote:Sunglasses that let you see in the dark would be pretty damned useful. It would be a great tactic to outfit the party with them and then open up all of our nighttime operations by killing the lights.

Or you could just buy night vision goggles...
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet
Name: Solomon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vai Castillian Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Well sure, if you wanna do it without any STYLE. Razz
Vai Castillian
Vai Castillian

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:16 am

They have style! Its just how you do things with them. That Ninja 2011 movie or so had a evil Ninja who would cut the lights and blind people and then use his goggles to see and cut people down. He did also carry twin pistols as well.
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:06 am

Please don't hijack this thread. I'd like to see what else other people come up with. The more ideas people come up with, the stronger the dialogue, the more comfortable people are going to be that their expectations are being met in my game.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:07 am

Glasses for reading any language with that drawback William would be a level 1 enchantment.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Theseus Ahroun Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 am

If you want to be the sneaky type could you make a pen and glasses set that allow you to write a code hidden in a plainly written letter that could then be deciphered with said glasses. Think something akin to what they had going with national treasure 2.
Theseus Ahroun
Theseus Ahroun

Character sheet
Name: Theseus Ahroun
Position: stubborn old Gangrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:09 am

Marius wrote:Please don't hijack this thread. I'd like to see what else other people come up with. The more ideas people come up with, the stronger the dialogue, the more comfortable people are going to be that their expectations are being met in my game.
It's not hijacking, its still ideas others could use for the game and it's an idea someone could use. If it's like other games where you have a ammount of points to create an item it might be a good idea to consider if the item you want is already in creation by some other means. Sure maybe beams of light from my hands would be cool but I could buy a flashlight for example.
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Woah this thread blew up!
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:52 pm

So, I meant for the ideas to be more on the comical funny side.

For example the momentum increase oil i mentioned isn't a controlled increase in momentum sam. Not really. I know in portal 2 you can sorta control your intended directions etc, but for this game I was thinking uncontrolled...Once you start going in a direction that's the way you go, faster and faster until you run out of oil lol.

Also for the Bouncy Gel / oil my original intent wasn't to make powerful armor, so much as....bouncy gel like in portal 2. I was definitely leaning more towards the innocent uses or mobility options it would present, however I realize that it can also be used as a temporary form of armor. A fix for that is to allow the force to pass equally through the gel as well as equal force pushing away. Limits it's effectiveness as armor, yet still gives the bouncy effect. With the down side being that you can't use it on...say something fragile like glass or ice. Or a flimsy door for example, cause they may bounce off it, but they will probably still succeed in smashing down the door.

Either way it would be hilarious in a melee fight, and it may seem like a good idea to use it as armor, but the repelling effect it has on bullets will cause a lot of random ricochets...That's not good.

Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vai Castillian Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:55 pm

So what you're saying is that your character is gonna be like a gnome in traditional AD&D? Smile

Remind me someday to tell you the epic story of the card shuffling machine.
Vai Castillian
Vai Castillian

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:32 pm

It's more like I'm playing a character with a sense of humor, and a personality.

Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Well I was taking the materials more seriously, but if that's the vein you want to explore with your character I won't disallow it. I suggest that such events be treated as prototypes or experiments with new devices/potions. It could make for some very humorous results if the due safety precautions were considered.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:48 am

Haha, I would hope you wouldn't try to disallow people to explore comedy options. Razz

Yep, that's what the items I listed here were meant to be. Just fun things I plan to do, for comical value.

I've got a character, that is supposed to be a bit of a clown/prankster when the action isn't thick. When the chips are down he's serious business, but the way he copes with various stressful things is to not take anything too seriously if violence isn't involved.

I'm still willing to take requests for practical things, and if people want something useful to the party then i'm all ears.
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Feel free to have comical items as storytelling devices. Just don't go overboard.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by William Kincaid Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:27 am

I am reminded of all of the extra magical items books that came out with D&D 2nd edition made by gnomes specifically. Not necessarily practical but halarious in a bloppers reel sort of way.
The practical items mentioned do show what people are potentially interested in.
William Kincaid
William Kincaid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 am

By all means, please add practical ideas. In fact feel free to discuss them with me at game as well.

It's 3 exp per new item / Potion. So keep that in mind when you make requests of me...it prevents my character from actually getting stronger the more variety I add.
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by William Kincaid Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:45 pm

This is definetly going to be entertaining as things progress.
William Kincaid
William Kincaid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down