Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

San Antonio by Night: Themes

Go down

San Antonio by Night: Themes Empty San Antonio by Night: Themes

Post by Marius Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:41 am

There are several dichotomies I will be exploring with San Antonio by Night. I encourage you to choose one of these and align your character strongly in favor of one side or the other. I don't care which, nor do you have to have a position on all of them, but I hope we have a nice variety.

Chaos vs Order

Chaos and Order are favorites of mine. Chaos represents the freedom to change and choose one's own direction in life, which looks chaotic but is usually pretty self-organizing. Order represents the regulation that improves the experiences of the underclass but at the cost of some freedoms for all.

Monolith vs Entropy

Large constructs are prone to destruction through the invisible agents of entropy. The parasite can kill the redwood. Monoliths represent human accomplishment and all of the beauty and terror that progress bring. Entropy represents the starting place for new ideas, a starting place occupied by the ever growing monolith. Inevitably the two must clash. When the monolith wins, the world regains its balance. When entropy wins, a new monolith is forged.

Conservative vs Liberal

Liberals embrace change, sometimes without caring enough about the consequences. Conservatives rebuke change, sometimes without considering the advantages. The nation of Texas is in flux as a result of violent change, but at the same time, it may still be holding onto ideals it no longer needs. Has it gone too far, or not far enough?

Justice and Mercy

These aren't always opposing ideals, but there will be serious consequences if the practices of San Antonio become widespread. Are they just? Are they a strong enough deterrent? Is it possible for those above the law to enforce the law? Is it possible for enforcers of the law to interpret the law in favor of mercy? I hope to see your characters wrestle with this once or twice throughout the game.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet
Name: Marius
Position: Arbiter of Greater Sacramento

Back to top Go down