Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

combat question

2 posters

Go down

combat question Empty combat question

Post by Theseus Ahroun Mon May 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Ok, something I wanted to get clarification on before it comes up for me in game as the different games I've played in have handled this differently but here's the scenario.

Combatant A has Celerity 5 and Potence 4. They burn the blood for Cel to get the actions but proceed to throw "Potent" for there trait bid. Do they still get the win all ties from fleetness or are they limited to whatever there top level of Potence is as they chose to do said action in a brute force manor?

My understanding of this from my readings of the book are that once you choose the trait it dictates which power's apply to it. As a strength/brute force application of traits in the above scenario they would get all the additional actions from Cel but they would be limited to there level of Potence for resolving the challenge. Much the same if you use a dexterity based trait to reflect the use of Cel they couldn't retest with "might". Now I've heard the argument for the other side saying once you've burnt the blood for Cel it's the speed you are moving at that translates into throwing bomb and winning on ties, but I've always been of the impression traits fuel disciplines and the correct traits must be used to activate a given action or discipline.

Any of the powers that be care to answer this one for my fragile little mind?
Theseus Ahroun
Theseus Ahroun

Character sheet
Name: Theseus Ahroun
Position: stubborn old Gangrel

Back to top Go down

combat question Empty Re: combat question

Post by Guest Tue May 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Answering in my capacity as a battle judge... IMHO. For you to be able to win all ties in that situation you would have to bid a trait (and have an appropriate descriptor of your action) that is related to the speed that Celerity provides. Although Celerity and Potence do stack in some respects (Using Clelerity allows for more actions where potence "can" be used, for example) they don't fully replace each other. So in the example you gave, if "potent" was bid the attacker would not have the advantage of "win all ties". But would have the Bomb, and would be able to retest with Might. If however the action was to "Quickly punch you in the nads", the attacker would lose the advantages of the potence (I believe the book is specific on having to bid the strength related traits), but would gain the benefit of the "win all ties".

As you said, and as I concur, the trait that is bid dictates the rest. Although there may be some permutations I haven't foreseen it is certainly solid rule of thumb.

Jason?

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Fri May 28, 2010 8:28 pm

I give Jim's response the, "Bad Mutha Fucka" Stamp of approval.
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down