Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storyteller Trust

+4
Assistant ST
Anna Russo
Nathaniel Polonius
Vai Castillian
8 posters

Go down

Storyteller Trust Empty Storyteller Trust

Post by Vai Castillian Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Hey, all.

Last game, it came up a couple of times the idea of whether the ST was being fair about things in combat. I've seen this previously a few times, and it baffles me because as much as he talks a big game, I've never gotten the sense that Jason is out to get us. I can't imagine why he wouldn't be as fair with the rules as he knows how to be.

The rules for this game are pretty complicated, and we as players are creative enough that we've come up with a lot of situations where Jason or Adeana have had to make rulings on the fly, rulings that won't always coincide perfectly with something some book says somewhere. But I chalk that up to them not having encyclopedic memories, and I think it's perfectly reasonable for an ST to be able to say 'the rules work this way right now, because we have to keep moving in combat and not get bogged down looking stuff up every five minutes'.

I bring this up because the constant questioning of rulings, especially during combat, really started to grate on me after a while. It slows down the flow of combat, but even more than that, it strikes me as disrespectful.

Look: I trust that our STs are here, first and foremost, so that we, the players, can have a good time. I wouldn't be playing in this game if I didn't feel that way. I hope that everyone else trusts them as well, and that we can trust them to make the best ruling that they can for any given situation. It felt, last week, like that trust wasn't there, and that made me sad.

As a player, I'd be grateful if we saved the questioning of ST rulings until after combat is over, for my sanity and theirs.

Anyway, that's all Smile
Vai Castillian
Vai Castillian

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Storyteller Trust Empty Re: Storyteller Trust

Post by Nathaniel Polonius Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Huzzah!
Nathaniel Polonius
Nathaniel Polonius

Character sheet
Name: Nathaniel Polonius
Position: Clan elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Anna Russo Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Here here!
Anna Russo
Anna Russo

Character sheet
Name: Anna Russo
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Assistant ST Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Michelle, you are awesome, and have hit the nail on the head. The support is much appreciated. I'm sure Jason will agree wholeheartedly as well. ^_^
Assistant ST
Assistant ST

Character sheet
Name: Adeana
Position: Assistant ST

Back to top Go down

Post by DelRay Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm

that is the way i fell .... that is why i drive 8-9 hrs just to play this game
DelRay
DelRay

Character sheet
Name: Indy
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Yay a Delray sighting! He's alive!

Thanks Michelle. I am never really out to get anyone, but I do try to create a sinister dangerous atmosphere. I want the players to worry about their characters safety once in a while.

Combat has become very cumbersome anytime it involves large numbers. I do the best I can to keep it flowing, but I am 1 person running multiple characters, and trying to create a decent fight for some pretty well built player characters. You guys are very talented, and when you have a solid plan, it's a hell of a challenge for me to not get steamrolled by your combined might.

Anyways, thank you Michelle for reminding people that flow is sometimes more important than the rules.
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 pm

If I run a game I'll be out to "git you". Especially you J! MWA HA HA! (Got some ideas for games already. Including rough ideas for Deadlands.)
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet
Name: Solomon
Position: Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Creating that atmosphere of danger already scott?
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes. I'll kill you off in character creation! (Some of the older games actually DO kill you off in char creation btw! I think Twilight 2000 and Traveler might have.)
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vai Castillian Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Thank you for warning me, so I can stay away.

Seriously, I know that 'black hand' games used to be very popular, and it was cool to man up and endure a storyteller (and fellow players) who were constantly out to get you, but I've done that enough times to know it's not for me. I much prefer an atmosphere of trust, and I like that I can trust you all. Smile
Vai Castillian
Vai Castillian

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 pm

That first part was just being silly right? I don't run "blackhand games" so I hope noone took anything I said seriously. Though any game I would run would be a bit more heavy on action so I don't think you'd like them anyway. Plus, you didn't like Westerns and Deadlands is one I'd like to try my hand at AND you don't like 4th ed D&D either.
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Back on topic.

I have to apologize for my own part in contributing to that feeling of overwhelming rules lawyering that goes about during a combat. I try not to question the storyteller after he makes a ruling, but if someone /does/ ask for specifics of rules, I am very prompt to answer, and that isn't really necessary unless I am asked specifically. So I will watch that behavior more closely. The only thing I can say is that this instinct stems from the desire to answer trivia questions, not to prove the storyteller wrong.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet
Name: Marius
Position: Arbiter of Greater Sacramento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum