Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raven's Eulogy

:: Blog

Go down

Raven's Eulogy Empty Raven's Eulogy

This is OOC, but it is what I would have liked to have said in Raven's defense but time did not permit. Three PCs were there to hear it, and I think it fair to post it here for them to read:

"Revered Elders. Raven has come here to die. He holds his honor sacrosanct, he will neither run nor fight. But there are those that would fight for him. Not with weapons, but with honest words. I have not known Raven long, but in that time I have seen him master lupines and lupine magic with both body and soul. He has faced every challenge this city has faced without any desire for compensation or protection. I respect him, and I have not met his equal since the Dane of New Haven, whom some of you may know, a man who taught me more of the blade than any since I was embraced."

"I have spoken to his character and you see it demonstrated here by his submission to your judgment, and you have heard him plead no contest to the charges put to him. But I tell you that these two things are not mutually possible. A man of honor cannot commit as heinous a crime as you believe in him. It cannot be that a man honorable enough to answer your summons without reservation could also put his own childer in the power of those he could not trust to treat them well. This Gangrel is guilty. He is guilty of loving his childer so much that he would bind himself to not just one of them, but all of them. You may find it shameful, and even I am not reconciled to that fact, but that's not enough to end his life."

"You may think that I do not understand the weight of his other crimes. But you know not my history. I fought in the war you waged against the Tremere for their crimes against you. Actually, I fought on the other side... a soldier in the army of the Tremere." Marius pauses to let the more volatile Gangrel settle themselves, if it takes to long he shouts over them: "BUT I HAD NO STOMACH FOR IT!" He waits until that sinks in and continues: "When I learned the true natures of those I fought for... I could no longer serve. I abandoned my commission. Left my post and lost my way entirely. I lost my way for a long time. More than a century I wandered, seeing nothing but corruption, nothing but suffering inflicted upon childer by their sires. From regnants to ghouls. On the bound by their masters. But here.... here in Sacramento... I found my way again. I found an elder that did not abuse his power. Who shared it freely with those that he could trust. I regained my way and forged a city that welcomes independents. That welcomes you, without reservation for your allegiance to your clan over all. That honors Theseus as elder of his kin." Marius gestures to Theseus who is present."

After a pause to regain his breath, he continues: "I'm not telling you this to prove he didn't do these things. I would not contradict his word on any thing. I tell you this so that you know that the gargoyles he created are his progeny, as sure as William, Sonja and all the other Blackthorn descendants may be. That the gargoyles of Sacramento are not slaves to the Tremere who deserve your wrath but worthy protectors of a city who honor their clan even hold the position of Elder among it." Marius pauses and explain: "Solomon the Gargoyle is Elder of Clan Tremere in this city and all among the Tremere respect his leadership. If you are looking to punish one for giving the Tremere slaves, you will fail to do that here. Here you will find a man who seeks to create a bond, not just between himself and his childer but between those among the Tremere that hate their practices as much as any of you. The Tremere of our city are nothing short of enemies of the Tremere of the Camarilla. Tremere that treat their childer as equals, and allies with loyalty."

"You can kill this man. I don't know that there is any force on this earth that could oppose your assembled might. But remember him afterward. Remember his name. Raven /Blackthorn/. You will hear that name again. It will be inextricably linked to the wisdom and honor of its founder, the strength and fortitude of the Gangrel, the mystical insight of the Tremere, and God willing, the swift justice of the Brujah. You may not respect them now, because their ways are different from your ways, and their founder sitting before you in penance, but you will fear them one day for their strength is waning, and the dominion of the Camarilla is waning. I will do nothing to oppose you, by his request, but if there is justice, then I will see it done by them."

Marius seats himself again behind Raven, his sole supporter.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet
Name: Marius
Position: Arbiter of Greater Sacramento

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Raven's Eulogy :: Comments

Solomon Gargoyle

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:10 am by Solomon Gargoyle

*slow clap*

Back to top Go down

William Kincaid

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:20 pm by William Kincaid

All I can say to that Marius is thank you. I am at a loss, I didn't know how you felt about him.

Back to top Go down

Story Teller

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:43 am by Story Teller

It's a bummer you didn't get a chance to speak on his behalf. That was a very rousing speech.

Things might have been different if you had been given the opportunity, but to hear a witness for the defense, there kinda has to be a plea of innocence on at least one charge.

Back to top Go down

Solomon Gargoyle

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:48 am by Solomon Gargoyle

It was my belief that Raven did NOT give his childer to the Tremere at all but only BLOOD. Is this true? Because that really shouldn't get him killed for that.

Back to top Go down

Story Teller

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:52 am by Story Teller

It has to be a whole body to make a Gargoyle. Not just blood. It's when you are teaching a discipline that you give them a trait of blood.

Back to top Go down

Solomon Gargoyle

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:59 am by Solomon Gargoyle

Yeah even Solomon would have a problem with giving over your childer for that. Just give over some Sabbat Nos, Tzmice or Gangrel. Been thinking of what Solomon would have said though.

Back to top Go down

Marius

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:47 am by Marius

Marius would have brought them around to the conclusion that though he put his childer under the Tremere protection, it was only because they were honest Tremere, who would treat them right. And the evidence is here, in a city where the Tremere die to protect the Gargoyles, not the other way around.

It might have worked, especially if Theseus was willing to confirm what Marius was saying. Regardless, I thought it would be nice to put the words up.

Back to top Go down

Solomon Gargoyle

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:55 am by Solomon Gargoyle

If the Tremere wanted Gargoyles they should have made them from captured Sabbat or something. That is one thing Solomon doesn't like and finds creepy about Raven and Demetria and the other Tremere.

Back to top Go down

Theseus Ahroun

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:03 am by Theseus Ahroun

I'm not sure if embracing a Gargoyle has the same effect but when you create one through the Tremere ritual it is very close to killing the person as everything they were is stripped from them and they are left an empty shell with no identity, memories or past. This would basically translate into embracing someone for the sole purpose of using them for spare parts regardless of who your are giving those parts to.

Back to top Go down

Marius

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:06 am by Marius

You make some sense. But let's be honest, changing someone from human to vampire ACTUALLY killing someone, stripping everything away from them, and replacing their identity with a similar one, but more evil. So it is hard to reconcile any argument that sanctions the embrace, but condemns conscientious creation of gargoyles. I'm not saying you can't be unreasonable ICly, just don't try to paint that picture to me OOCly, because I'm not buying it. Smile

Back to top Go down

Solomon Gargoyle

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:17 am by Solomon Gargoyle

Embracing a Gargoyle is only slightly less jarring. They forget their past mostly but they do have hazy memories and other things that might remind them of who they were. Created Gargoyles have NO past. No nothing.

In some cases actually embracing a Gargoyle could be a mercy. Like if that persons human life is already tramatic and shitty. As in the case of a Sabbat Gargoyle I played who was an abused child/teenager.

Back to top Go down

Francois Marseille

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:20 am by Francois Marseille

This is meant to be a post honoring the dead PC's and NPC's. Specifically Raven in this case.

Debating the degree of "Ass Hattery" involved in the gargoyle creation process is really something that should be done elsewhere.

Back to top Go down

Vai Castillian

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:21 pm by Vai Castillian

If there'd been more time that night and everyone hadn't been so tired, I think Marius could have effectively argued that while Raven did what they say he did, thus being "guilty" of taking the actions, the actions that he took were in fact not so morally objectionable as to warrant the Final Death.

But it was late, and that would have dragged the scene on another couple of hours.

(I'd argue that the Nosferatu Embrace is easily as traumatic as the Gargoyle Embrace, and nobody has any problems with that.)

Back to top Go down

Marius

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 pm by Marius

I had a lot I wanted to say, it is too bad game didn't allow.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down