Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RP Hints

+3
Marius
Vai Castillian
Solomon Gargoyle
7 posters

Go down

RP Hints Empty RP Hints

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Mon May 10, 2010 2:40 am

Anybody out there with RP hints/tips for bringing a PC more to life? I find sometimes it's hard to find Solomon or other PCs mindset or emotional responses.
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet
Name: Solomon
Position: Elder

Back to top Go down

RP Hints Empty Re: RP Hints

Post by Vai Castillian Mon May 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I use a tip that I picked up as a writer a long time ago: Interview your character. You can start simply by going on okCupid and taking their little tests as your character, which will give you an idea of his aesthetic tastes. Then, start asking him the deeper questions as they suggest themselves to you. You want to know what he thinks, what he feels, how his past informs his present behavior. It can help to actually write your interview out, as though you were a reporter interviewing the character.

After I do this (and this is my personal preference), I like to take my character's rich inner life and bury it. Most people don't wear their hearts on their sleeves, so I try to keep my characters just as secretive. The 'interview' I did previously becomes a set of thoughts and feelings, ways of making judgments, that I keep in mind as I'm playing her, so that while they're not explicitly stated, they leak through here and there. Knowing what's going on in my character's head helps me to differentiate myself from her.

Anyway, that's just me. There are probably way less involved ways to do it.
Vai Castillian
Vai Castillian

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 pm

When I start to build a new character I use the following tricks:

- Wear a signature article of clothing. Just putting it on can convince you that you are someone else. This trick works for doing chores too.

- Create a physical gesture you can repeat easily. Use this gesture whenever you are thinking about what your character would say. Not only will it help you think as your character would, but people will connect the physical gesture to your character.

- Move uniquely. Figure out how your character holds their body. Loose, tight, strong, tense etc. If you don't have any roleplay you are doing, focus on posing in that style, you'll be certain to be in character when someone addresses you.

- Identify your character's strongest (or most common) emotion. Focus your character's word choices around it.

- Identify what subject matter your character understands the most. Turn everything into an analogy for that subject. Basketball, geology, sailing, etc. Whatever your character would be familiar with. Be careful not to overuse this one, it can make your character look simple or one dimensional.

Honestly, I am not much of a roleplayer, I rely on tricks like these to convince people I put time and thought into my characters.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet
Name: Marius
Position: Arbiter of Greater Sacramento

Back to top Go down

Post by Demetria Von Hausen Thu May 13, 2010 2:33 pm

For me, I employ the interview method quite a lot with character concepts. I find that it helps with knowing who your character is and why they are reacting to situations in the manner that they do. There's a wonderful questionnaire in another game system that I can bring along this Saturday if you like. Some of the questions won't apply, but can be translated to this system.

Having some kind of unique drama in the character's past also helps. I'll pester Jason for days on end about a concept until I feel that they have enough past history to satisfy me.

Also, I look for ways to personally identify with my character. Every persona I create is a facet of my own personality that I either may not be able to express in real life, or have always wanted to see in myself. These help me emotionally connect to the events happening, and make the characters feel like modes of thinking instead of a bunch of numbers on a paper.

Sam's trick for an article of clothing is brilliant. For my Daughter of Cacophony, it was a perfume that I wore every time I played her. I never wore it outside of game. Now, every time I catch a whiff of the bottle, I'm flooded with memories of her. Maybe a cologne would help, as the sense of smell is powerful for creating memories.
Demetria Von Hausen
Demetria Von Hausen

Character sheet
Name: Demetria Von Hausen
Position: Whip

Back to top Go down

Post by Raven Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I would love to see the question sheet. It would be fun to use.
Raven
Raven

Character sheet
Name: Raven
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Yeah it would. Is that in the LARP books too or just tabletop?
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Theseus Ahroun Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:10 pm

http://stuff.mit.edu/~endeavor/Hydra/longest.html

Pretty sure this is a copy of the character quiz Adena was talking about from Amber. Don't know that this is word for word the same quiz as is in the book but carries most of the same general themes.
Theseus Ahroun
Theseus Ahroun

Character sheet
Name: Theseus Ahroun
Position: stubborn old Gangrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 pm

I think the Vampire quiz would still be a good one to have as the Amber one doesn't cover some Vampire specific questions or topics.
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Theseus Ahroun Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Don't know of any vampire specific ones. You could probably find something just browsing online though. The Amber one is pretty generic really though so minus a couple system specific questions it would probably work.
Theseus Ahroun
Theseus Ahroun

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:24 pm

I could type it up if I find it in any of the books.
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Marius Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Check online. I'm sure you'll find that people post these things there.
Marius
Marius

Character sheet
Name: Marius
Position: Arbiter of Greater Sacramento

Back to top Go down

Post by Story Teller Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm

My method is probably a terrible idea.

But I pick one feature about the character that makes it unique and work backwards from there. I love to fill in the blanks as I go along, improvising as a situation comes up, and as time passes the character's personality becomes dictated by the events surrounding it's daily challenges.

I feel that in real life people are always a little reserved and withdrawn around strangers. That it takes time to discover the core of a person's personality. I feel that defining a character is a journey of discovery, and to have their personality too well defined in the begining will make that journey short and bumpy.

However, I haven't had a steady character all my own in years...so what the hell do I know lol
Story Teller
Story Teller

Character sheet
Name:
Position:

Back to top Go down

Post by Theseus Ahroun Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:39 pm

The way I build characters is somewhere between the character quiz and what Jason is describing. I basically use a shortened version of the quiz to identify what I want the characters strongest traits and quirks to be and develop a general personality. Usually letting bits and pieces of my own personality seep into the cracks of the character. I do actually spend some small amount of downtime, especially on game day, running through various scenario's and conversations to get a feel for how I want the character to behave. If you've thought through certain situations it makes rping them a little easier.
Theseus Ahroun
Theseus Ahroun

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Solomon Gargoyle Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm going to look for that quiz so keep an eye open later for me to post it up. I was also going to put up some questions from the Tabletop ST guide that are helpful things about Vampires, like "Do Vampires have fingerprints?" And no, they don't.
Solomon Gargoyle
Solomon Gargoyle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum